We've got to get creative while we're all working and working out at home; especially the major race organizations who have had their Spring and Summer races cancelled or postponed.
Spartan Race is taking it virtual, giving obstacle course racing (OCR) athletes and enthusiasts a chance to earn their Spartan Trifecta ONLINE and keep up their fitness with the BE UNBREAKABLE program.
Here's how it WORKS:
For each event that has been cancelled or postponed, you can now take on a Sprint, Super, Beast, or Ultra challenge, even from your own home! There are variations to suit every kind of social distancing obstacles that stand in your way.
For each event that is cancelled or postponed, you can now partake in a virtual challenge to match that race.
- Sprint: 5K run (or substitute) + the following 20 obstacles:
- 10 pushups
- 10 burpees
- 10 mountain climbers (10 per side)
- 10 jumping jacks
- 10 air squats
- 10 forward lunges
- 10 hand-release pushups
- 10 tuck jumps
- 10 plank up-downs
- 10 planks shoulder taps (10 per side)
- 10 knee slap mountain climbers (10 per side)
- 10 reverse lunges (10 per leg)
- 10 glue bridges
- 10 dips
- 10 decline pushups
- 10 single leg squats (10 per side)
- 10 calf raises
- 10-second plank
- 10-second hollow hold
- 10-second squat
- Super: 10K run (or substitute) + all Sprint obstacles + the additional obstacles below:
- 10 situps
- 10 leg raises
- 10 bicycle crunches
- 10 v-ups
- 10 supermans
- Beast: 21K run (or substitute) + all Sprint & Super obstacles + the additional obstacles below:
- 10 walk out pushups
- 10 burpee tuck jumps
- 10-second wall sit
- 10 flutter kicks (10 per side)
- 10 diamond pushups
- Ultra: 50K run (or substitute) + Beast obstacles x2
Obstacles can be completed at any time throughout the workout, as long as they are completed. This means you can "stack" them and do them all at the beginning or end, spread them out throughout the workout, or any other combination. Just get it done!
Run Substitutes: The following alternate exercises for running are available to all competitors who are currently unable to run outside:
- Treadmill / Air or Fan Bike – Distance requirements are the same as running or walking outside/inside.
- Bike / Stationary Bike / Peloton / Spin Bike – Each run distance multiplied by 4. For example, a 5K run would be a 20K ride.
- Rowing Machine / Kayak – Each run distance multiplied by 1.2. For example, a 5K run would be 6K (6000 m) of rowing.
- Ski Erg – Each run distance multiplied by 1.2. For example, a 5K run would be 6K (6000 m) on a ski erg machine.
- Jump Rope – For Sprint, 2000 jump rope. For Super, 4000 jump ropes. For Beast, 8000.
- Stair Climb / Step Machine / Step Ups – For Sprint, 2000 steps. For Super, 4000 steps. For Beast, 8000 steps.
- Swim – For Sprint, 1 mile (1600 m) swim. For Super, 1.5 mi (2400 m) swim. For Beast, 3.2 mi (5200 m) swim.
- Bear Crawl – Each run distance divided by 3. For example, a 5K run would be a 1 mi (1600 m) crawl.
- Lateral Bounds/Ice Skaters – Each distance is repetition based. For Sprint, 1000 bounds (500 per side). For Super, 2000. For Beast, 4000.
Virtual races will be conducted on weekends, just like a Spartan Race! The same distance will be held in place of a race that has been cancelled or postponed (if we had a Super scheduled one weekend, we will hold a Super Virtual Race that weekend).
You must submit your results within the 48 hour period for that race, local time. For example:
- Seattle Super – Scheduled April 4, 2020. You will have from April 4, 2020 00:00 – April 5, 2020 23:59 PST to submit your Virtual Race results for that event.
- Palm Beaches Sprint – Scheduled April 25, 2020. You will have from April 25, 2020 00:00 – April 26, 2020 23:59 EST to submit your Virtual Race results for that event.
You will submit your results here!
Submissions MUST include proof that the race was completed. Examples include a social post/link to a video of you completing it, photos, GPS tracks, Strava activity, or anything you have to verify you completed it.
A Virtual Trifecta will be available. But please note, these will not count towards your standard race Trifecta.
- All finishers will receive a personalized finisher's email certificate with the option to share on social media!
- A Trifecta Virtual Medal will be available for those who complete a Sprint, Super, and Beast/Ultra!
April 4, 2020:
- Charlotte, North Carolina (EST) – Sprint
- Citi Field, New York (EST) – Stadion (do the Sprint Virtual Race)
- Seattle, Washington (PST) – Super, Sprint
- Atlanta, Georgia (EST) – Sprint
- Sarawak, Malaysia (MYT) – Super, Sprint
- Veszprem, Hungary (CET) – Super, Sprint
April 11, 2020:
- San Diego, California (PST) – City (do the Sprint Virtual Race)
- Korea (KST) – Stadion (do the Sprint Virtual Race)
April 18, 2020:
- Munich, Germany (CEST) – Sprint
- Lima, Philippines (PHT) – Ultra, Beast, Sprint
- Southeast, United Kingdom (BST) – Beast, Sprint
- Hong Kong (HKT) – Super, Sprint
- Shanghai, China (CST) – Super, Sprint
April 25, 2020:
- Tri-State, New Jersey (EST) – Ultra, Beast
- Palm Beaches, Florida (EST) – Sprint
- Lima, Peru (PET) – Sprint
- Orte, Italy (CEST) – Beast, Super, Sprint
- Pezinok, Slovakia (CEST) – Beast, Sprint
- Kaohsiung, Taiwan (CST) – Super, Sprint
May 2, 2020:
- Jacksonville, Florida (EST) – City (do the Sprint Virtual Race)
- Montana (MST) – Ultra, Beast, Super
- Carcassonne, France (CEST) – Super, Sprint
- Hangzhou, China (CST) – Super, Sprint