October is Adopt a Shelter Dog Month and the six LA Animal Services Centers are filled with dogs who need a home. To encourage the animal loving community to adopt and welcome a canine friend into their home, they’re offering the following reduced adoption fees for dogs ($51) and puppies ($75), as well as cats ($12.50), and kittens ($25) during:
- October 21 & 22: Celebrate Adopt a Shelter Dog Month
- October 28 & 29: Howl-o-ween Adoption Weekend
“Like many shelters across the country, our six LA City centers are experiencing increased overcrowding so adopting a dog during Adopt a Shelter Dog Month is an ideal time to adopt and change a dog’s life by welcoming them into a loving home,” said Staycee Dains, General Manager for LA Animal Services. “Adopting a dog also is an incredibly rewarding experience. The companionship and unconditional love you will receive are simply priceless.”
Adopt a Shelter Dog Month was established by American Humane in 1981 in an effort to bring the estimated three to four million animals waiting in shelters to get a loving home.
Five Reasons to Adopt from LA Animal Services
LA Animal Services has five great reasons to adopt a pet from LA Animal Services so you can celebrate Adopt a Shelter Dog Month with a new furry friend:
- You will help relieve the overcrowding in our six LA City shelters as we have 1,344 dogs in need of a new home; and when you adopt, you make life-saving space for other animals with nowhere else to go.
- You are giving a pet a second chance for a loving home.
- When you adopt from LA Animal Services, your dog or cat goes home with you already spayed or neutered, vaccinated, microchipped as well as treated with flea treatment to ensure their health.
- Free dog training classes with our friends at Paws for Life K9 Rescue at their People and Pets Innovation Center in Mission Hills.
- You get a friend for life who can offer you unconditional love and companionship.
Adopt a Pet Today
Adopters receive a Petco flyer with discounts to help make their pet adoption a success; and a VCA Healthy Start Certificate, which provides up to $250 of follow up veterinary care within the first 14 days of adoption. In addition, dogs adopted from LA Animal Services are also eligible for free dog training classes at the Paws for Life K9 Rescue. Contact Info@pawsforlifek9.org for more details.
View the pets in our Centers who are available for adoption or fostering by going to laanimalservices.com.
More Ways to Celebrate Adopt a Shelter Dog Month
- Donate and make a difference to help the pets in LA.
- Be a part of our Share Squad and get the word out to help LA animals find homes and create more awareness on how to keep animals safe and healthy.
- Volunteer and make a difference in the lives of animals in our care.
- Apply for a job at LA Animal Services. LA’s Targeted Local Hire program fast tracks qualified candidates into city employment, including working for LA Animal Services. Candidates begin their career as an Animal Care Attendant providing hands-on care to animals in our shelters. Follow this link to learn more or sign up with a TLH referral agency.
Options to Surrendering a Pet
Please reconsider surrendering your pet to a shelter as six LA Animal Services Centers continue to operate at critical capacity. LA Animal Services offers alternative solutions to help keep pets and families together, that include Safety Net Foster, Home to Home, Pet Food Pantry, and helpful resource guides. We also work closely with intervention groups who will provide assistance with pet retention. If relinquishing your pet is the only option, appointments are required by calling 888-452-7381. Sick or injured animals will be admitted without an appointment.
For more information about LA Animal Services, visit: laanimalservices.com.