Batkid Restores Peace To The City Of San Francisco

Peace has been restored to San Francisco after a young boy recovering from leukemia fought alongside his favorite superhero Batman in an adventurous day made possible through the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Miles Scott, a 5-year-old kindergartener from Tulelake in Siskiyou County, was diagnosed with leukemia when he was 20 months old and ended chemotherapy treatment in June, with the cancer now in remission, Make-A-Wish Greater Bay Area executive director Patricia Wilson said. “He already battled a villain in real life. He fought cancer and won,” Wilson said. The nonprofit arranged to turn San Francisco into “Gotham City,” where Miles would embark on a series of rescues and make his wish to be Batman come true. Thousands of people from around the Bay Area gathered at multiple sites throughout the city to cheer on the boy, who was dressed in a Batman costume complete with a mask and cape. The day started off with a 10 a.m. call from San Francisco Police Chief Greg Suhr to alert him of a damsel in distress tied on the San Francisco Municipal Railway Powell-Hyde cable car line. The duo scrambled to Nob Hill to save the damsel, who was facing an oncoming cable car at Green and Hyde streets as the crowd yelled “Go Batkid!” San Francisco resident Jesse Garcia came to watch the spectacle that was only three blocks away from his home and said it was great to see the community come out to support Miles.

“I think it’s phenomenal that kids still believe in superheroes,” Garcia said. Miles untied the damsel, who had been tied to a green box filled with question marks by the “The Riddler,” one of Batman’s villains. Danielle Luscombe, a friend of Miles’ family, said the boy did a great job in the rescue. “It’s just really impressive. It’s great to see his wish come true,” Luscombe said. People also crowded around the Financial District as the duo entered a bank at 550 Montgomery St. to look for the Riddler. Inside they found the famed villain, who tried to steal jewelry and money, but Miles locked him in a barred room with nowhere to escape. With two rescues down, the pair enjoyed a lunch at Burger Bar overlooking Union Square and watched a flash mob performing to Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin’” in yellow and black clothing. The crowd then alerted Miles of the kidnapping of San Francisco Giants mascot Lou Seal by Batman’s other archrival, “The Penguin,” and the pair made their way to AT&T Park. After a serious of obstacle courses at the park’s promenade level, Miles slid down the Coca Cola bottle slide to find “The Penguin” at the end. Lou Seal was found tied up to a batting cage nearby at a small baseball diamond for children and Miles came to the rescue and set the mascot free. Batman and Batkid then arrived at City Hall, where Miles proudly waved a fist in the air as hundreds of people cheered him on with a hero’s welcome as he stood on stage at Civic Center Plaza. A plane flew overhead with the message “Wishes do come true SF Batkid.” San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee welcomed everyone to Gotham City Hall and thanked Miles for all his hard work. Lee also presented Miles with a huge gray key to Gotham City, a framed proclamation and an advanced issue of Saturday’s “Gotham City Chronicle” with the headline “Batkid Saves City.” President Obama also joined in on the action and posted a video on Vine with the message “Way to go Miles, way to save Gotham.”

More From LATF USA

Scroll to Top