In 2017, I started a very serious relationship with Black Diamond's jackets. It all began with the Alpine Start Hoody.
As I've said in previous reviews, this is byfar the best jacket that I've ever owned for trail running. Why?
- It's lightweight and easy to travel with. It bunches into a small ball for packing.
- Wrinkle magic. As soon as you hang it up or unfold it, the wrinkles disappear (for real!)
- Great breathability.
- Weather resistant. Perfect for those cooler mornings and early runs in higher elevation.
- I recommend sizing up so that you can layer.
They have Apline Start Hoody styles for men and women in various colors.
It doesn't rain a lot in Southern California. But, when it rains… it pours. I was searching for a nice lightweight rain jacket that wasn't too bulky for distance trail running. Enter, the Fine Line Stretch Rain Shell jacket.
My favorite feature about this jacket is the hood. It has an adjustable, climbing-helmet-compatible hood that protects your entire face from the rain when you run. You feel as if you're in a nice protective bubble! Rain aside, this jacket has some pretty strong armour.
I wore it while running up San Gorgonio Mountain. With close to freezing temperatures and a strong windchill at 11,503 feet elevation, I was sitting pretty cozy at the summit in my Fine Line.
- Built with BD.dry™—our engineered waterproof/breathable/windproof solution
- Stretch shell fabric increases durability and comfort
- Underarm gussets for added mobility
- YKK reverse coil PU coated center front zipper
- Stows into external chest pocket with carabiner clip loop
- Low-profile, elastic cuffs
Although it has a slim fit, you can easily layer. I'm a smaller build, but I went with the Medium for layering options.
These are my top two running jackets. Check them out and let me know what you think on IG!