Surf dogs can hardly wait to show off the skills they’ve fetched at the ultimate summer-closer. Helen Woodward’s Surf Dog Surf-a-Thon was the first-of-its-kind, turning ‘dogs on surfboards’ into a platform to raise life-saving funds and reminding the world that “man’s best friend” can do phenomenal things.
Helen Woodward Animal Center’s 14th annual Surf Dog Surf-a-Thon, presented by Blue Buffalo, dives into action at Dog Beach Del Mar THIS Sunday, September 8th, 2019, from 8am to 2pm PST. It’s certain to make some very big waves! If you can’t be there in person, you can watch the Surf Dog Surf-A-Thon unfold on Facebook by heading to https://www.facebook.com/surfdogsurfathon/ at 8:30am PT/11:30am ET.
WHERE: Dog Beach in Del Mar
WHEN: Sunday, September 8th, 2019 between 8:00am – 2:00pm.
Registration: 7:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
FREE Kids Activities 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Extra Small Dog Heats: 8:30 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
Pet Industry Team Sand Castle Contest 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
Small Dog Heats: 9:10 a.m. – 9:40 a.m.
Medium Dog Heats: 9:50 a.m. – 10:20 a.m.
Peeps & Pup Freestyle Surf Competition: 10:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
General Sand Castle Contest 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Canines Freestyle Surf Competition: 11:10 a.m. – 11:40 a.m.
Large Dog Heats: 11:50 a.m. – 12:20 p.m.
XL Dog Heats: 12:30 p.m. – 12:40 p.m.
Best in Surf: 12:50 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Canine Costume Contest: 1:15 p.m. – 1:35 p.m.
Hall of Fame Induction 1:35 p.m. – 1:45 p.m.
Awards Presentation 1:45 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
· Life-vested canines competing in real surfing heats – 5 different weight classes!
· A freestyle surf contest with points awarded for creativity – tandem rides and costumes encouraged!
· Land-loving pups showing off at the Canine Costume Contest.
· Athletic Dogs tackling the Canine Agility Course.
· The BLUE LAGOON – Blue Buffalo’s Special Canine Paradise with puppy pools, shading umbrellas, special protective doggy shoes, the Dripping Dog booth for protective paw wax, games, gifts and photo backdrops!
· Surfing dog-loving vendors joining in on the fun.
· Two VERY SPECIAL Surf Dog Hall-of-Fame Inductions.
· Top Placing Surf Dogs Receiving Plaques and Awards!
CELEBRITY PARTICIPANTS AND JUDGES:
· Hallmark Channel “Adoption Ever After” Host for Home & Family Larissa Wohl: Larissa grew up with a heart to heal and a determination to save the underdogs of the world. At a very young age, Larissa and her mother Liz found themselves saving unwanted animals of all sorts. During her teen and college years Larissa furthered her interest in animals by becoming active in animal welfare issues and volunteering at local shelters. As a news anchor, field reporter and journalist, Larissa became the local animal expert in every news market she resided. Larissa’s life mission became clear… use her voice to help the voiceless. You can now watch Larissa in action everyday as Hallmark Channel’s “Adoption Ever After” host for “Home & Family”. She can also be seen helping host several projects for Hallmark Channel including the 2018 and 2019 American Rescue Dog Show, Kitten Bowl Live and Countdown to Valentine’s Day and Adoption Ever After Preview Special!
· Sunshine Makarow: current marketing leader for AkuShaper surfboard design software, is a two-time West Coast Women’s Surf Champion, former US Amateur Surf Team member and member of the CSUSM national champion collegiate surf team, surf dog lesson teacher, and judge for nearly every Surf Dog Surf-a-thon since its beginning.
· Surf Judge JC Toro, a California native, born and raised right here in beautiful North County San Diego. He has been surfing for over 18 years and some of those years professionally. JC spends most of his time in the ocean, working, or with his two dogs Reef and Indy. Both Reef and Indy were adopted from Helen Woodward Animal Center.
· Sunny 98.1 Radio Host Dave Mason
SURF DOG SPECIFICS:
- Dogs divided into 5 weight classes:
Extra Small – 1 to 20 pounds
Small – 21 to 40 pounds
Medium – 41 to 60 pounds
Large – 61 to 85 pounds
Extra Large – 86 pounds or more
- 2 heats for the Extra Small dogs, 2 heats for the Small dogs, 2 Medium dog heats, 2 Large dog heats, and 1 heat for the Extra Large dogs. The winners announced are the TOP scorers of the total heats for each weight class.
- The top three finishers in each weight class will receive medals.
- After the heats there is a, “Best In Surf” heat including the top finisher from each heat.