Over the weekend, a tragic fire roared through a warehouse in Oakland, California. Called "Ghost Ship," the warehouse space is home to an artist collective and was used as a party venue space.
As of Sunday evening, 33 deaths were reported. The fire broke out during an EDM (electronic dance music) party.
According to Mayor Libby Schaaf and Alameda County District Attorney Nancy E. O’Malley, a criminal investigation is underway.
The identified victims are:
- Cash Askew, 22, of Oakland
- David Clines, 35, of Oakland
- Nick Gomez-Hall, 25, of Coronado, Calif.
- Sara Hoda, 30, of Walnut Creek, Calif.
- Travis Hough, 35, of Oakland
- Donna Kellogg, 32, of Oakland
- Brandon Chase Wittenauer, 32, of Hayward, Calif.
Melinda Drayton, Oakland Fire Department battalion chief said, "This will be a long and arduous process. We want to make sure we are respecting the victims and their families and ensuring our firefighters' safety."