Academy of Country Music and the Country Music Association Entertainer of the Year, Luke Bryan took the stageon Thanksgiving at AT&T Stadium to kick off The Salvation Army’s 125th Red Kettle Campaign with a LIVE nationally televised halftime performance during the Dallas Cowboys game against the Carolina Panthers on CBS.
The performance marked the nineteenth year of the partnership between the Dallas Cowboys and The Salvation Army.
“There are many reasons to celebrate on Thanksgiving, and I am honored to perform on behalf of two iconic organizations to kick off the season of giving with the Red Kettle Campaign,” said country music star Luke Bryan.
The campaign officially began with Bryan’s LIVE halftime performance and the inaugural Red Kettle donation from Jerry Jones, owner and general manager of the Dallas Cowboys, and his family. Since teaming up in 1997, the collaboration of The Salvation Army and the Dallas Cowboys has raised more than $2 billion for the Red Kettle campaign, which provides America’s most vulnerable with food, shelter and other support throughout the year.
Bryan joined a star-studded list of past performers including Selena Gomez, Kenny Chesney, Enrique Iglesias, Keith Urban, Daughtry, Jonas Brothers, Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Sheryl Crow, Destiny’s Child, Toby Keith, LeAnn Rimes, Creed, Jessica Simpson, Billy Gilman, Clint Black, Randy Travis and Reba McEntire.
Red Kettle Kickoff is just the beginning of an exciting Christmas season for The Salvation Army. In addition to the more than 25,000 red kettles being stationed in storefronts and on street corners nationwide, there will be numerous ways for the public to get involved.
- #RedKettleReason: The Salvation Army is continuing to encourage Americans to share their personal reasons for giving using #RedKettleReason. New this year, The Salvation Army will award one lucky winner of The Salvation Army Giving Spree Contest with a paid trip to New York City to participate in a “Giving Spree,” to buy toys and necessities to benefit a Salvation Army program in their community. The Salvation Army Giving Spree shopping event will be featured on TODAY. Additional details about the contest can be found at RedKettleReason.org.
- Giving Tuesday: December 1 is known as Giving Tuesday, a day of charitable giving during the holiday season. The Salvation Army will raise awareness #GivingTuesday and encourage supporters to donate during a series of appearances on national and syndicated news and talk shows. In addition, the Giving Spree finalists will be announced.
- Sixth Annual Rock the Red Kettle Concert: For the second year, Becky G will headline the Rock the Red Kettle Concert. She will be joined by Jacob Whitesides and Jake Miller for the free concert at L.A. LIVE in Downtown Los Angeles on Saturday, December 5, at 5 p.m. PT. A live stream of the concert will also be available at RedKettleReason.org.
- Walmart Fill the Truck: On three consecutive weekends from November 27 to December 13, participating stores across the country will be collecting toys and coats for children this holiday.
- Text-to-Give: And for the mobile donor, it’s easy to give $10 by texting the word “KETTLE” to 80888 and replying “YES.”*
- Volunteer: For additional ways to volunteer and give back, visit www.salvationarmyusa.org to find a local corps.