Here's a great healthy recipe for your weekday snacking!
With the tahini craze Mighty Sesame Co. is upping the game with the first-ever harissa flavored tahini.
What is harissa? Seen on nearly every Israeli, Moroccan, and Tunisian table, it's a paste made by blending roasted hot red peppers with other spices and herbs. This fragrant chili paste is often combined with garlic, olive oil, cumin, coriander, caraway & mint for a distinctive Mediterranean flavor. There are as many variations of harissa as there are grandmas who've passed their secrets down the generations. It can be hot or mild, smoky or pungent – depending on the ingredients and techniques involved.
Subtle Spice Harissa Tahini Dip*
3 T. Extra Virgin Olive Oil + extra for garnish
¼ Yellow Onion, minced
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
3/4 C. Mighty Sesame Harissa Tahini
2t. Lemon Zest + 2T of Lemon Juice
¼ t. Salt
¼ Black Fresh Ground Pepper + for garnish
¼ T. Flaky Sea Salt as Garnish
WHAT TO DO:
- In saute pan heat oil. Add onions and cook until caramelized. Adding garlic for the final 1-2 minutes.
- In a small food processor add harissa Tahini , lemon zest and juice. Mix until smooth. Add onion and garlic mixture including oil until well mixed.
- At this point add in some hot water to get desired thick or thinness.
- Season with salt and pepper
- For garnish drizzle oil and flaky sea salt right before you serve.
Serve with warm pita or a variety of vegetable Carrot sticks, celery sticks, Red/Yellow Peppers, Broccoli spears, Asparagus spears etc.
*Recipe by Chef Gregg, renowned food service industry expert and self-described "tahini obsessed." He's joined forces with Mighty Sesame to develop and present a host of innovative, tahini-based recipes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Like all Mighty Sesame tahini's, the Harissa variety is ready to use with just a shake and a squeeze, no stirring required. It is packed with protein and contains 260mg of calcium per serving. Organic, vegan, gluten- and dairy-free, OU kosher, and halal, it's a 100% guilt-free option for everyone. (MSRP $4.99 per 10.9 oz. bottle)