Taraji P. Henson slayed the 2017 Academy Awards red carpet in her blue velvet Alberto Ferretti gown with a thigh-high slit. With perfect skin and makeup to boot, the Hidden Figures star undeniably won the red carpet.
“The importance of having exfoliated, clean and moisturized skin plays a huge role in makeup looking flawless," said Ashunta Sheriff, Henson's makeup artist. "My philosophy is makeup should enhance your natural beauty and balance out skin imperfections. I do not believe makeup should wear you or alter your face completely. I'm not a naturalist, but I am all for enhancing natural beauty - not masking and rebuilding a new face.”
Sheriff walks us through Henson's ultra-glam look with this step-by-step guide.
- Before any big award show, I begin with Dermaflash. Its superior at-home exfoliation, plus the removal of unwanted peach fuzz, helps makeup look smooth, radiant and glowing.
- On skin, I use a Kate Somerville Goat Milk De-Puffing Eye Balm followed by Kate Somerville DermalQuench Liquid Lift Advanced Wrinkle Treatment.
- Then, I use Farsali 24 Karat Rose Gold Elixir all over the face.
- Before I start makeup, Glossier Priming Moisturizer helps to hold makeup in place and gives a natural radiance to the skin.
- Burt’s Bees Shea Butter Lip Balm is used to prep lips.
- Perfect Blend by Ashunta Sheriff Beauty in Tan is applied using the dual ended vegan brush for smooth and flawless coverage. It's a buildable foundation that has built in technology that masks skins imperfections without looking heavy.
- For the Oscars I add a little more lift with MAC Mineralized Concealer in NC40 under the eye area and on the brow bone.
- I then set makeup with my favorite Dermablend Oil Control Blotting Powder using Surratt Beauty Powder Brush, which has a beautiful design - almost like a Kabuki brush with a handle for better control, and the hairs are super soft and fluffy.
- Subtle Contour is added using St. Tropez 3-in-1 Bronzing Powder. I wanted a soft romantic look, so I opted for Glossier Cloud Paint, a creme blush in Dusk, then applied Enlight by Danessa Myricks in Halo on cheekbones.
- I based the lid with Urban Decay Eye Primer then used Urban Decay 24/7 Pencil to line eyes on both top and bottom lash line making a thick line, then feathering out with a Surratt Beauty Blending Brush to create a soft, sultry smoke.
- I used Urban Decay Smokey Eye Palette and blended black in the crease, then used the dark brown on top to soften the edges.
- I made a thin line on the top lash line and lower lash line with MAC Creme Liner and smudged it using Q-tips.
- I applied House of Lashes Iconic Lashes with Duo Black Adhesive for extra boost of glam. I added one coat of MAC Waterproof Mascara on bottom lashes.
- I also added NYX Shimmerball Eyeshadow in Salmon on the center of eyes and in the inner corner of the eyes.
- I used Damone Roberts Brow Pencil in Minx and highlighted the brow bone in Peach to keep brows clean.
- I lined lips with MAC Cork Lip Pencil and topped it with Surratt Beauty in Vivacious Pink.
- I used One Night Only Finishing Gloss by St. Tropez on the body and I added Danessa Myricks Enlight in Halo on her collarbone and shoulders to get that beautiful highlight.
Sheriff's result was a much-praised combination effortlessly worn by the stunning Henson.
Follow us on Instagram! @LATFUSA