It is a historical week for the United States as Pope Francis will be making his first visit since taking residence at the Vatican. Thousands will flock to New York, Philadelphia, and Washington D.C. to see the Pope for the first time live in-person, something many devoted Catholics have waited their entire lives to do. It is a very important moment for many American Catholics, so if you want your chance to see the Pope be sure to check out the calendar of events below.
ABC News will offer complete coverage of all papal events including his arrival at Joint Base Andrews, White House visit, addresses to a Joint Meeting of Congress and the United Nations General Assembly, as well as motorcade stops, parades, Vespers and Mass. Anchor George Stephanopoulos will host a special report from Washington, D.C. on Pope Francis’ arrival on September 22 and anchor “Good Morning America” from D.C. on September 23 and 24. David Muir will host “World News Tonight” at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, D.C. on September 22 and 23, from St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York on September 24 and from Philadelphia on September 27.
ABC News Digital will carry all of the Pope’s live events on www.ABCNews.com/Live and will be GoStreaming from Washington, D.C. and New York City during his visits.
Pope Francis Visits Washington D.C.
- Tuesday, September 22, 2015
- 4 pm: Pope Francis arrives in D.C. at Joint Base Andrews
- Wednesday, September 23, 2015
- 9:15 am: White House Welcoming Ceremony and personal meeting with President Barack Obama
- 11:00 am: Papal Parade along the Ellipse and the National Mall
- 11:30 am: Midday Prayer with U.S. bishops at Saint Matthew’s Cathedral in D.C.
- 4:15 pm: Junipero Serra Canonization Mass at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
- Thursday, September 24, 2015
- 10 am: Speech to the Senate and House of Representatives (Joint Session of Congress)
- 11 am: Brief appearance on West Front of Capitol
- 11:15 am: Visit to St. Patrick’s Catholic Church in D.C. and Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Washington
- 6:45 pm: Evening prayer at St. Patrick’s Cathedral (New York)
Pope Francis Visits New York
- Friday, September 25, 2015
- 8:30 am: United Nations General-Assembl
- 11:30 am: Multi-religious service at 9/11 Memorial and Museum, World Trade Center
- 4 pm: Visit to Our Lady Queen of Angels School in East Harlem
- 5 pm: Papal motorcade through Central Park
- 6 pm: Madison Square Garden Mass
Pope Francis Visits Philadelphia
- Saturday, September 26, 2015
- 10:30 am: Mass at Cathedral Basilica of Sts. Peter and Paul
- 4:45 pm: Visit to Independence Mall
- 7:30 pm: Visit to Festival of Families at Benjamin Franklin Parkway and Prayer Vigil with World Meeting of Families
- Sunday, September 27, 2015
- 9:15 am: Papal meeting with Bishops at St. Martin’s Chapel, St. Charles Borromeo Seminary
- 11 am: Visit to Curran-Fromhold Correctional Facility
- 4 pm: Papal Mass for World Meeting of Families
- 7 pm: Visit with organizers, volunteers and benefactors of the World Meeting of Families at Atlantic Aviation
- 8 pm: Departure for return to Rome
For more information, visit http://www.popefrancisvisit.com